Monday, May 18, 2015

Grant Honors Past President

IPEI President Jennifer Engel shared a favorite quote of an Ithaca teacher: “I am a teacher who dreams. I dream up ideas of all different sizes that center on creating meaningful learning experiences for my students. I am grateful that the Ithaca Public Education Initiative has supported me with grants … for memorable opportunities for my students.”

In this spirit, the IPEI Board passed a resolution to show appreciation to Terry R. Byrnes, our immediate past president, by naming one of the first Connecting Classroom Grants in her honor. “Connecting All Students through Sustainable Agriculture” is led by Carlan Gray, I.H.S. Science; Scott Breigle, I.H.S. Technology; and Karen Kiechle, I.H.S. Special Education.

Developing a high-tunnel at l.H.S will create the infrastructure necessary to support work-based learning necessary for the new CDOS (Career Development and Occupational Studies) graduation credential, a long term science elective, and a project-based curriculum for our technology classes.”

Engel continued, “Terry helped to nurture and grow IPEI through all kinds of conditions. We hope she will ‘dig in’ with all of her skills by following this grant that will span more than one school year and growing season."

No comments:

Post a Comment